Sunday, May 1, 2011

To sleep, perchance to dream...

Sleep is a big theme in the baby world and everyone wants to know how to get more of it. Well, we haven't figured that one out yet, but we have become very creative when it comes to getting Shuler to sleep. He sleeps pretty well at night now for 4-5 hour stretches, but naps are a struggle and without them life isn't happy around here. Here are some of the many things we do to get Shuler to sleep:
  • Rocking...this is actually what I do the most...I also sing, which is not pretty...probably because I sing the Little Mermaid song. It is the only thing I can remember all the words to without music. Jason's not thrilled by this...
  • Strolling
  • Any outside activity usually ensures a nap
  • Driving...He's not a fan of his carseat, but once the car starts moving, he's a goner
  • The sound machine is a miracle...we put it on ocean, the louder the better. We started out with 2, but the portable one is already dead.
  • The hairdryer...he can't resist that one, which is nice when I really need to get ready
  • Swinging
  • Snuggling...sometimes in the mornings, Jason will bring him in to wake me up and he just snuggles right up to me and take a nap. This is a nice way to start the day...well, start it when he wakes up anyway.
  • Paci...we can't keep enough Nuk's in our house
  • Shhhhhhh...
  • A little jiggle goes a long way
  • Warm laundry...found this out when I was folding clothes...I call it Pseudo-Mommy
  • And of course, being held - whether it's in a sling or in my arms, Shuler just wants to snuggle. When nothing else works, I just rock him and put him in my lap in his Boppy and he will sleep for hours.
All of this violates the doctor's instructions, but the results sure are peaceful...









We have to keep an arsenal of strategies because you never know what will work, but when those little eyes start rolling back in his head, you know you've found it.

No comments: